My Fashion Sense

Tuesday 3 August 2010

Do's & Don'ts - Empire waist dress!

Standing at the ATM, I noticed the woman in front of me was wearing a dress I had recently purchased. Unfortunately, she had a very "boxy" shape and the dress only accentuated that. Thus the inspiration for this blog...

Empire Waistline
Definition: A type of dress or top where the waist line is raised above the natural waistline, sometimes as high as right below the bust. Best on slender-on-top or petite figures, the empire dress creates the illusion of length and camouflages a bottom-heavy figure or thick waist. (from About.com)

Yes, I know I'm petite but this is just a little friendly advice. Empire waists are great from concealing a little extra weight around the middle...

However, not so much if your bust/waist/hips are relatively the same diameter. This creates a "boxy" shape which is not flattering on anyone.

Here's a bright alternative that will help to create a waist!


Balance out larger hips with a longer sleeve, creating the illusion of an "hour-glass" shape!

For more info on body shapes check out this website ->


No comments:

Post a Comment